Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Misty Mountain!

 This mountain retreat in Washington was the perfect home for a watercolor! 
I especially loved the mist rising behind the house. I really took my time and 
enjoyed getting to know the lodge and it's grand surroundings.

I stayed as close as possible to the photograph while drawing and painting this one. 
There wasn't one thing I didn't LOVE about the picture the owner sent me! 
As a matter of fact, I was so absorbed in the painting process, I forgot to take pictures. 
I only have a few but will post them to let you see how I started out.

A little closer view of the photo above. As you can see, I started with the trees and shrubs and 
then went to the roof. I waited until the very end to tackle the misty mountainside.

I kept adding details and finalizing the house before adding the mist.  

I have only one picture of adding the mist!!!! It was actually a very closely timed process. 
When I'm laying down a wet wash, I have to work quickly before it dries. 
This mist was the perfect example of that and I couldn't put down the brush to take more pics.
But at least there's one!

But you can see how the mist within the trees turned out. It actually took me much less time 
than I had thought it would. I really had to be careful not to overwork it. 
And...here is it!

Thanks for dropping by and please come back soon.
Try to pick up a brush this year. Let me know if you're considering watercolor and 
I would be happy to give you some beginner tips.
Happy New Year to each and everyone!

Carole



No comments:

Post a Comment