Wednesday, May 22, 2019

An Italian Villa

A sweet couple that I know well recently commissioned me to paint an Italian Villa that they stayed in while touring Italy. It was to be a thank you gift to the friends who invited them to stay in the villa. It's a lovely place nestled in the hills among orchards and vineyards. I loved painting it for them and was so happy they liked the end result. Here are some of the steps I took to create the watercolor they asked for... using pictures they had taken while they were there.

After a light drawing, I began the process with watercolor washes to determine 
the composition and place the main features 

I continued to add washes and began to find areas to add in the darks. 
This helped to create depth and make certain areas stand out.


As I continued to add landscape, distant mountains and sky features, 
the painting slowly began to take shape.


From this point, details became important. This is my favorite part!
Adding details and darks, I continued to glaze in the layers and add shadows.
Suddenly, it began to come alive!



I continued the painting until I felt it was complete. Sometimes, it's actually hard to know when all of the steps are done. It's something an artist faces each time they take on a painting. It's always best not to over paint. Most of the time, watercolors are best left understated. 
But this time...I knew when it was finished. It just told me!


It was complete and ready to ship directly to the homeowners. Their Italian Villa!!!

Thanks for dropping by...I try to post as often as I can, and lately that hasn't been too often!
But here's to more posts in the future!

Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment